Wednesday, September 19, 2007

It was statistically inevitable, Goes with the risk and May happen again... Sept. 18th, 2007

One of the worst sounds that I can think of is the loud crushing impact, just as your car collides into another, as the metal of both entangle with each other. And then there is a nanosecond of silence followed but an atmosphere of hysteria. Those sounds and images reverberate in your mind for a long time after such an incident. For me, that image will be me on my bicycle colliding with a car that just made a left turn directly in front of me while I was moving at close to 25mph down 16th street in Washington, DC toward my Grandmothers for our weekly dinner together.

I had just left Bally’s Gym in DC and was headed down 16th street NW on my mountain bike for the short ride, when I was hit. It happen so amazingly fast, there was really no way to have avoided the car. It was travelling in the opposite direction up 16th street and decided to make a left turn directly in front of me. Obviously the driver had not seen me flying down the hill.

I pulled both front and back brakes, but there was no way to stop in time. I squarely hit the passenger side door with the front tire. Then my body followed head and left shoulder first. I remember the impact of my helmet on the windshield and my shoulder on the passenger window. Instantly, I came to a stop and slid to the pavement like a cartoon character that hits a brick wall, flattens out and flows to the ground.

I was conscious and immediately stood up, backpack with laptop and clothing still on my back. I gathered my bike and drag it to the curb. I took about 10 sec’s to collect myself. The lady driving the car rushed over to see if I was ok. She was panicked and called 911. Of course being the mommas boy that I am, I called my mother. I am sure she rushed to her car and headed my way. But of course the fire trucks, ambulance and police car beat her to the location. They carted me off in a stretcher sirens blairing toward GWU Hospital. My bike went to Fire Engine Co. #11 where it still sits.

My left shoulder was a mess. It had swollen the size of a small pumpkin. I was certain that I had dislocated it or broken my collar bone. The nurses at the hospital looked at me and said I didn’t look so good. Well, geez, I just t-boned a car at 25mph on my bicycle. Luckily the x-rays showed nothing broken, but extensive torn ligaments that connect my collar bone to my shoulder. They shot me up with demurral (spelling) and sent me home with a referral for an Orthopedic Surgeon.

My mother met me at the hospital, we went out to dinner and I went home to bed! The sound and image of my impact reverberates in my mind and will for a while. But I feel fine and was very lucky, it could have been much worse.

Sorry no pictures from this adventure.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jordan, Sorry to here about your accident, Let me know if you need any help. You realize if you allready had your helmet cam you would be famous.(at least on youtube)Take care/Tim.

Anonymous said...

I'm buying you a TV.